13 December 2007

The Giving Tree by Shel Silverstein

This is a familiar and yet powerful story about the tree that gives her apples, branches and finally trunk to a boy, just to make him happy. To me it speaks of an altruistic love that few can really practice. Most if not all, give for a purpose, and that purpose is not to just make someone happy. Here the tree is different. In a sense it reminds me of the Heavenly Father who gives.

I have listed for myself some questions to prod me into further actions:
As a Tree -
Will I give off my trunk, branches and apples to make someone happy? If not, why? What is holding me back?
Who is like this tree to me? What would I tell him when I meet him/her?
Am I seeing myself like an “old stump” with nothing left to give, or a young tree with apples aplenty?
Do I need to ensure that I still have sufficient to give?

As a Boy –
Who is my boy (that I’m giving wholeheartedly to?)
Am I over-taking (receiving) and under-giving?
Do I appreciate the “trees” in my life? Note – boy did not say a word of thanks.

In giving, there is happiness. In taking, there is tiredness.

In a way, I see myself as an old stump (okay, mid-life stump), with nothing else to give in ministry and life to others. Maybe it’s time to re-discover that even old stumps have got good uses!

0 comments:

Total Pageviews