31 October 2007

QT thots on Lk1:1-4

Others may compile the narrative, but Luke’s Gospel is different, in that it: (1) is backed up by close observation and facts; (2) is an orderly account for a specific person; (3) has the purpose of giving us certainty concerning what we have been taught. We can have assurance that it is accurate, orderly and authoritative.

Others have compiled a copy of what was accomplished. Have we written down what has happened on our journey with God? Specifically, did we give praise and glory to God where it is due? Did we record down lessons learnt on the way? Action point: start journaling again. Am I reaping the rewards of journaling? Is there another way to do it better?

What have I been taught? Am I certain of those things? On the gospel message, am I certain that Jesus came to die for our sins and that He is the only way to the Father? Are my fundamentals sound? Is my assurance of salvation certain? Last time after reading the Calvinistic and Armenian views, I used to be more confused and became doubtful about the certainty of my salvation. Now, in reality, I don’t really think much about this issue. I know and believed that I’m once saved always saved and that no one can take away my salvation. I do not go and read controversial topics and viewpoints. I have no time and “itch-iness” to stir up the hornets; nest unlike in seminary where I have to do the assignment.

What doctrines and truths have been “less certain” now? After my last job loss, my view of God’s love and personal plans for me has been shaken. But thankfully it has regained strength and I have slowly renewed a sense of passion for life. Has God forsaken me? Or have I been deluded by my emotions and forsake God? On balance, it might have more been the latter.

Jeremiah 29:11 (English Standard Version)
11 For I know the plans I have for you, declares the LORD, plans for welfare and not for evil, to give you a future and a hope.

I need to believe again His promises for my life. Promises like this one above.

Prayer:Thank you Lord for your Word, and the certainty that comes in it. Help me to rest upon the truths therein and order my life accordingly. Heal me thoroughly and make me whole again to follow you. In Jesus name, Amen.

2 comments:

kairospix said...

Hi,

Not sure if you are aware of a new book on Mother Teresa's private crisis of faith struggles that is called "Come Be My Light".

There has been some newspaper reports about it as the book showed a side of her that many people did not know - she had deep doubts about God and even whether He existed.

I think many times we think we should not be doubting or questioning what we have been told or taught but I think it's important to face it realistically rather than try to rationalized it away.

I like this part of a Times article discussing about Mother Teresa's "dark night of the soul" experience which lasted for decades - "Now, he says, he will use her extraordinary faith in the face of overwhelming silence to illustrate how doubt is a natural part of everyone's life, be it an average believer's or a world-famous saint's"

It's a good article and you can read it at the url shown below - I think it's free now as it's a current article but once archived you probably have to sign up/pay to read it.

http://www.time.com/time/world/article/0,8599,1655415,00.html

Hope it will encourage you.

A light in the darkness said...

Thanks for the words of encouragement kairospix. It is indeed comforting to know that others have walked the same path of uncertainties (for decades - wow that's long) and yet persevere on in her work.

Have a great week!

Total Pageviews