28 July 2007

My Heavenly Father in pain

It has been a while since I did my Quiet Time. My week was emotionally tiring and it affected my spiritual life as well. All I wanted to do this week was to escape from it all and vegetate (do nothing). So it was quite an achievement to finally open up the Bible and read His word. Yet His words do not disappoint. It was particularly poignant this morning.

1 Sam.2. 23 And he said to them, “Why do you do such things? For I hear of your evil dealings from all the people. Here Eli admonished his 2 sons for their wayward ways before the Lord for taking the offerings and misbehaving themselves at the temple.

As it spoke to them, it spoke afresh this morning to me, "Why do you (me) do such things?". I had been far from the Lord for a while. While my 'things' may not be as bad (but how do I compare? Self-righteous?) as theirs, it is nonetheless sin in God's eyes.

I am painfully reminded of my situation, especially in the many days that I chose to walk away from His will and go my own ways. Why do you do such a thing? It is a cry of a painful father in the passage. One who cares. One who knows what should be done and is pained that his sons did not do it. With my heavenly Father, I am face-to-face with a saddened Father too.

“it is no good report that I hear” – is equally painful.

The key here: will I listen to the Father? The sons of Eli did not and they were punished by the Lord. I need to listen and return to the Lord and ask for forgiveness. I need to stop doing whatever is displeasing to Him.

Forgive me O Lord, for my wayward ways! I am wrong.

0 comments:

Total Pageviews