5 June 2007

My next generation

Judg.2. 10 And all that generation also were gathered to their fathers. And there arose another generation after them who did not know the Lord or the work that he had done for Israel.11 And the people of Israel did what was evil in the sight of the Lord and served the Baals. 12 And they abandoned the Lord, the God of their fathers, who had brought them out of the land of Egypt. They went after other gods, from among the gods of the peoples who were around them, and bowed down to them. And they provoked the Lord to anger.

What happens to our next generation? Our society’s next generation, our church’s next generation, and our own family’s next generation is in our hands. Will they walk down the same road as the Israelites, who are faithful for 1-2 generations and then sin away like the nations around them?

My own family, my children – will they know the LORD, and the work He had done for us? Or will they do evil and abandon Him and provoke Him to anger? What can I actively do today to steer them to the right way?

I desire to teach them to know the LORD and to know the work that He had done. Currently, they are far from the LORD. My limited actions and unsupportive behaviour have not helped at all. I tend to lazily cater to my tired body and relax before the newspapers or surfing unnecessarily. The times that they come to me with difficult homework problems, I brushed them aside curtly and damage their self-esteem. So much for a good parent. sigh.

The tension is there. My dilemma is that I want to be a good parent, without much effort. I want minimal output for maximum results. And unfortunately, it does not work in His real world. In here, I need to put in the efforts. And even that is not enough for continuity. For the long haul success of my next generation, I need to walk aright with God and be obedient to Him. Change my heart 1st LORD. It starts with me walking aright with Him.

I need to walk afresh and closer to Him.

In situations like these, I need to arrest the Spiritual-Personal-Organisational factors, in that order. Deal with it spiritually is the most important. I need to repent and get it right with God 1st. On the personal front, I need to see that I must make changes in my life. Organisationally, I need to set aside time weekly to teach my kids the positive values so that they will walk with God.

Deal with me afresh Lord. Today. Amen.

0 comments:

Total Pageviews